Sunday, May 1, 2016

Slipping through Serbia

The Republic of Serbia is a sovereign state situated at the crossroads between Central and Southeast Europe, covering the southern part of the Pannonian Plain and the central Balkans. Serbia is landlocked and borders Hungary to the north; Romania and Bulgaria to the east; Macedonia to the south; and Croatia, Bosnia, and Montenegro to the west; it also claims a border with Albania through the disputed territory of Kosovo. The capital of Serbia, Belgrade, is one of the largest cities in Southeast Europe. Serbia numbers around 7 million residents.

 Serbia is on the way from Serbia to Germany. Here's an example of the migrants making their way north. They use public parks as way-stops.  

 One of the important local sites is the Karadjordjevic Dynasty Palace. The Royal Palace was built between 1924 and 1929 with the private funds of His Majesty King Alexander I(the grandfather of HRH Crown Prince Alexander). The Royal Palace was the home of King Alexander I and King Peter II (the father of Crown Prince Alexander). Today The Royal Palace is the home of Crown Prince Alexander and his family.



For me the basement rec-room was the highlight. This is the ultimate pool room.



Some of the other rooms were also very interesting.

I opt'd out of the ship's city tour and took a walk around town. I was rewarded with a 20 minute parade of motorcycles. It was great to see all the different bikes.

 
  

I made my way to the Tesla museum. The Nikola Tesla Museum is dedicated to honoring and displaying the life and work of Nikola Tesla. The museum holds more than 160,000 original documents, over 2,000 books and journals, over 1,200 historical technical exhibits, over 1,500 photographs and photo plates of original, technical objects, instruments and apparatus, and over 1,000 plans and drawings.
 One of the displays includes an amazing electrical discharge that lights up florescent lights held by the visitors.  

Later on, I walked to the town square to meet Lynne and Louise. On the way I ran into a local artist.

  He said that he loves Americans but hates the US Government. I had to agree with him.


 The pedestrian walkway was filled with sights to see.

On my walk back to the ship I spotted this sign.

             I had to stop in an check it out.
I had a beer on the back patio of this place, looked through the open window and spotted this guy cooking. We chatted for awhile as he prepared the house specialty, some sort of flat bread with creme fraiche and cheese. It looked great. A few minute later, the cook took a break on the patio and brought me one of these things on the house!. Wow, what a great cultural exchange.

 The girls went on the bus tour and shot this image. It is a building that was damaged by a NATO bomb in 1999. Their road map was not quite right and they hit this apartment building by mistake....whoops.  Sorry about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment